Before you get started, make sure you have the following:
- 1 Alcohol Wipe
- 1 Dexcom Sensor
- 1 Dexcom Transmitter
- 1 Signos Sports Cover
Best practices for preparation
- Fast overnight and apply the sensor first thing in the morning when your glucose is stable, or before bed if you have not eaten within 2-3 hours.
- Consider shaving the hair from the application site to prevent the sensor from falling off early and for pain-free removal on day 10.
- Never apply lotions to the spot you intend to apply your CGM.
Step 1: Connect the CGM to the app
Enter the transmitter serial number and the sensor code as prompted by the app.
Step 2: Prepare your sensor site
Pick a spot on your stomach: This can be two (2) inches on either side of the belly button. As you are considering where to place it exactly, choose a place that:
- Has no/low hair
- Is not prone to excessive bumping or contact
- somewhere that won’t get compressed regularly
- little to no tattoos or scars
- not the leanest part of your arm/abdomen
Before applying your sensor make sure to thoroughly cleanse the area with the alcohol wipes. Lotions and soaps can leave a residue on the skin that makes it difficult for the adhesive to fully stick. Let your skin dry completely before the sensor application
Step 3: Place the sensor
- Peel the two adhesive covers off of the sensor.
- Apply the uncovered sensor on the area you cleaned with the alcohol wipe and press firmly to establish a good seal with the adhesive.
- Break the orange safety clip off.
- Push the orange application button.
- Run your finger around the white, adhesive area three (3) times.
Keep the adhesive cover with 4 digit code until you are finished setting up the CGM.
Step 4: Connect the transmitter
Connect the transmitter to the sensor by inserting the small, squared end first into the lip, followed by the larger end. Lightly press down, and you should hear two quick clicks.
Keep the transmitter box. It contains the ID number (serial number) needed for Dexcom data syncing.
Optional Step 5: Place Sports Cover
Wearing a sports cover is optional, the CGM can be worn without a cover in the shower and the pool. However, wearing a sports cover can help ensure the sensor doesn’t get damaged overtime.
To apply the sports cover: remove the outer adhesive tabs one by one and smooth over the sensor without creasing to place the Signos athletic cover on top of the CGM.
Step 6: Sensor Warm-Up
Once you place your CGM, it will take 2 hours to warm up. Check your app to see the time remaining. Store the remaining unused sensors & transmitters in a cool/dry place.
While you wait, explore other areas of the app!
The first 24 hours of a new sensor may have more variable readings. However, you do not need to calibrate manually; the sensor is designed to self-calibrate within 48 hours or less. If you prefer to calibrate the sensor, please wait at least 24 hours after placing a sensor. For more information see How to do a finger stick calibration.