There are many reasons why the Calories in, Calories Out, or CICO, philosophy does not work (and it seems like you have already tried it before without success, which is very common).
- Low calorie marketed foods are usually extremely processed and stripped of nutrients
- Low calorie foods lack healthy fats which are vital to for healthy hormones, weight loss, and keeping you full
- Calorie counting does not take into account the digestion process (for example, we use more energy digesting protein than carbs and fats)
- Food labels can be off by 20%
- 200 kcals from broccoli sends a completely different message to the body than 200 kcals from candy
- There is human error when counting and measuring calories
- It often leads to a mindset of less is better which wreaks havoc on your metabolism!
Instead of calorie restricting, focus on incorporating real, whole foods that stabilize your blood sugar. Balance your meals with nutrient dense lots of carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats. Ensure that you are eating enough and not depriving yourself. Also remember to work on other factors like stress management and sleep! Remember, under-eating is a stress on your body which can halt weight loss.
Learn more about Counting Calories and Weight loss.